Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

November, 2004

Permit To Operate Mobile Painting Unit Using Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Q. Please advise on any bans or changes to quick drying paints/laquers. I'm about to set up a business as a mobile car painter doing 'smart repairs,' i.e. bumper scuffs scratches, small repairs, and understand one of the substances 'nitrocellulose' is trying to be banned/stopped. Any infomation would be greatly recieved before investing into this type of industry.

Unfortunately, I don't have a definitive answer for you. Moreover I would need to do some research to get you the answers. Many states do not permit the use of N/C lacquers because they have too high a VOC content, but you would need to check this with your local air pollution agency. You will also need to check whether or not you will need to get a permit to operate the mobile painting unit. My guess is that if you are using very small quantities of paint for touchup only, you might be able to use the N/C lacquers AND paint from a mobile unit. Since I don't know in which state you are located, or your local area, I cannot help you further. I suggest that you call directory information and ask for the local or state air pollution agency and go from there.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center