Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

July, 2001

Infra-red Absorbing Pigments and Paints

Q.I am looking for a paint that will absorb strongly in the shortwave infrared (1000 to 1700 nanometers). I need to apply a paint coat to optics enclosures to minimizes scattering of infrared radiation. Would you know of a vendor that specializes in these paints ?

A. You might start by calling the coating vendors who sell to the military. In particular, you might try Hentzen Coatings:

Bhaskar Urs
Director of Technology, Research & Development
Hentzen Coatings, Inc.
6937 W Mill Road
Milwaukee, WI 53218

If Bhaskar is not there, try Al Hentzen or someone in their research lab.

Also, you might try to call the Sherwin-Williams A.W. Steudel Center. The only person for whom I have a contact number is as follows:

Douglas B. Wolf
Technical Manager
Baking Systems
(773) 821-3043

Doug will be able to dfirect you to the chemists who work with military coatings.

Also try Deft, Inc. in Irvine, CA:

Tracy Garrett, Jr.
VP Industrial Sales
Deft Coatings
17451 Von Karman Ave.
Irvine, CA 92614

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center