Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

August, 2005

EPA and State Regulations on HVLP Paint Spray Guns (sprayers)

Q. I work with a mobile paint touch up company that sprays outside using small HVLP guns with 1.0 mm nozzles. Are there any regulations or restrictions on using a bigger HVLP gun, say with a 1.4 mm nozzle, to spray more volume in an outdoor location? Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

A. If you are subject to a regulation that requires you to use an HVLP paint sprayer, then you are only bound by the definition of "HVLP". Basically, an HVLP paint spray gun (paint sprayer) is a spray device that atomizes paint at a pressure of 10 psig or less, as measured at the cap of the gun. You are required to be able to demonstrate that you do not exceed the 10 psig pressure at the cap (not at the handle, where the pressure might be as high as 50 psig). Pressure kits can be purchased from your paint spray gun supplier.

Nothing in the definition prohibits you from using small or lage diameter orifices. In fact, under some circumstances you need to increase the orifice diameter to be able to get paint to flow though the gun.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center