Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

September, 2005

Polyurethane Enamel

Q. What is the deference or similarities between Acrylic Polyurethane, Polyurethane Enamel, and Acrylic Polyurethane Enamel?

A. An "enamel" is the general term used to describe a high gloss decorative topcoat. Therefore, we talk about alkyd enamels, acrylic enamels, epoxy enamels, etc.

Polyurethanes come in a variety of formulations; acrylic-polyurethanes, polyester-polyurethanes, polyurethane "oils" and modifications of other resin systems, such as alkyds. I don't know anything about Matthew's Paint, but DuPont's Imron polyurethane is a two-component acrylic polyurethane decorative topcoat. If the Matthew's polyurethane is similarly two-component, then all three of the terms you describe probably have the same meaning.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center