Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

November, 2003

Changing the Gloss of a Wood Finish

Q. I have a project that the painter put a satin poly finish on cherry wood. The owner is not happy with the shine the wall now has, is there anyway to dull the finish?

A. The way that I see it, you have two options. One would be to steel wool the surface with ultra fine #0000 steel wool. This will put fine scratches in the surface, and give the appearance of a flat finish. If this approach is unacceptable, then the only other alternative would be to lightly sand the existing finish, remove the sanding dust, and re-coat with the appropriate gloss.

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center