Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

May, 2005

Installation of Small Spray Booth Permit

Q. We are investigating putting a paint booth in our plant in San Jose. Currently the paint booth is being used in LA County and is compliant with AQMD regulations. Consumption is one gallon per day. Our plant is located on Junction and Dado . What is involved in doing this ? We are just a small company.

A. Offhand I don't know the small usage exemption of the Bay Area regulations, but if it is less than 1 gallon per day you might not need a permit from the BAAQMD. If it is one gallon or more, and if the exemption is at the 1 gallon "de minimus" value, you will need a permit. You can download the permit application form from the BAAQMD website and submit it. Again, I suggest that you first inquire about the exemption limit.

If you do need to complete the permit, this is nota difficult process, but if you need assistance we can help you on a fee basis.

I do not know if you need to get a permit from the fire department.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center