Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

March, 2005

USDA Food Grade Wall Paint Coating for Food Processing Plant

Q. I am building a small food processing plant in Los Angeles, CA. I need to find a paint that we can use on our wall rather than using an FRP panel?

A. A typical coating system would comprise a food grade epoxy primer followed by a food grade polyurethane topcoat. Of-course, the surface preparation of the substrate is critical and depends on the condition of the substrate. Companies such as Sherwin-Williams and PPG, Carboline, Ameron and others, sell the type of coatings you require. The coatings can generally be purchased from an industrial paint store (not a hardware store). Will you be doing the painting, or do you intend to retain the services of a contractor to do this. If the latter is the case, then you should write a detailed specification for the project.

If you would like us to assist you in this, please get back to me.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center