Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

March, 2004

White Reflective Paints

Q. I am constructing a scientific instrument called an "integrating sphere", which is a hollow sphere having a highly reflective interior surface. I am looking for a type of white paint that is highly reflective and that can stick to plastic (or cardboard). Can you suggest such a paint, and where to buy it. I am in Quebec, Canada and would prefer a local supplier if possible. Thanks

A. Typically two-component polyurethanes are used for this purpose. You can purchase such coatings from a local industrial supply store (not a hardware store) and you nearest Sherwin-Williams store should have stock of their Polane product.

Health and Safety
Please be aware that coatings and solvents are chemicals and therefore you should always pay attention to proper handling procedures and be prepared to wear protective clothing, such as respirators, gloves, coveralls, etc., and always be sure that your work area is well ventilated.

For further information on the health and safety requirements for the coatings and solvents you wish to use we strongly advised you to contact your local coating supplier and obtain a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). If possible, go the extra step and look for this information on the website of the product vendor.

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center