Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

March, 2004

Antifouling F129

Q. Can you recommend me some plasticizers to replace tricresyl phosphate in this vinyl formula F129 Antifouling paint? This formula corresponds to the military specifications.

A. There are other plasticizers that are classified as chemical plasticizers and are similar to TCP, tricresyl phosphate. Dibutyl phalate and octyl phalate. One should use care in selecting the proper plasticizer for use with vinyl resins. The plasticizer provides flexibility to the film as well as acting as a solvent for the resin. .

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center