Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

July, 2005

Painting Over Cadmium Plating

Q. What kind of primer shall I use for the painting of a cadmium plated surface?

A. Generally, you can use the same primers fon cadmium or as you can for zinc plating. The ones that are most commonly used are zinc chromate; however, you might not want to use an alkyd resin. Epoxies are probably the most commonly used for this purpose, but insure that you prep the cadmium surface properly before priming.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center