Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

July, 2004

Correlation between Zahn Cup vs. Iwata Cup for Viscosity

Q. In our company we both a zhan cup no. 2 to measure the viscosity. We have the reference to measure the cs viscosity with the reference of the time, but the paint that we are using is asking for a time of 9 +-1 seconds, but in a iwata nk-2 cup. I want to know if you have any relation or formula to convert this time in cs.

A. Unfortunately, I do not have a conversion for you but you might be able to get this from the instrument companies, such as Gardco ( or Byk-Gardner ( If these companies are not able to provide this information, you may need to go to the Iwata website and see if they have a conversion table.

In the absence of conversion tables, you might have no good alternatives, but to perform the conversion tests yourself.

If you need any further assistance, please to not hesitate to call or write again.

Best wishes,

Ron Joseph

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center