by Ron Joseph
Q. I used a spray paint, think it was rust-o-lieum, on a old grape crusher and
used it to crush some grapes. That was last summer and have made wine from it,
but the wine has a little aftertaste and the thought has occurred to me that
it might be from the paint I used. Could there be a poison issue that I may
Without knowing more about it I would say that it is unlikely that the paint
has caused any poisoning, although it might have left an aftertaste. One way
to get better clarification is to see if you can find the paint can you used
and then go to the paint manufacturer's website and search for the Material
Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for that product. From the MSDS you will be able to
determine if any of the ingredients were poisonous.
If you don't have the old can of paint, you could possibly take a bottle of
wine to a chemistry lab for analysis, and the lab could test for heavy metals
and other likely poisonous compounds. Did you make the wine for personal or
commercial use? Unless you made a really large expensive batch (presumably for
commercial sale) it might be less expensive for you to toss the wine than go
to the expense of analyzing the ingredients.
I don't know anything about the grape crushing process, but intuitively I doubt
that the small amount of contact the grapes would have had with the crusher
would have allowed the paint to give the grapes an aftertaste.
Quite honestly, the approach you take will be dependent on the expense you
will incur. If it is worth your while (financially) I would be happy to consult
to you on a fee basis, in which case I would ask you a few more questions and
help you find the MSDS or paint ingredients that might have been used. Clearly
this will take some labor effort. Please get back to me if you would like to
pursue this avenue.