Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

April, 2004

FDA Approved Sealer

Q. For some time now I have been trying to find a paint, or sealer that is FDA approved for use in wooden barrels. These barrels will be used as water coolers, beer kegs, etc. I sell these items now, and use a FDA approved wood glue to assembly them, but the wood still rots after a time. So I am trying to find a solution to this problem. Many of these items are made of pine, as oak is far too expensive. Can you please name a product that will work, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help that you can give,

Brian E. Orgeron

A. There are a number of wood sealers and preservatives on the market that are suited for your application. The key word in your message is for use on water coolers. The sealer you choose should be approved for use on potable water containers. Contacting a national brand paint store will be helpful. If they don't have information available, they do have access to their technical resources which can help you identify an approved coating.

Best regards,

Tom Burke

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center