Paints & Coatings Resource Center

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive

by Ron Joseph

January, 2003

Converting from Conventional to HVLP Spray Guns

Q. Is it possible to put a HVLP gun on a system that is currently set up for conventional spray as long as I can provide enough cfm, or do I need larger air line to get proper atomization. thanks

A. If you are curreently usinbg a short (less than 25 ft) 1/4" hose, you can convcert to an HVLP gun and still get good results. If the hose is longer than 25 ft you should change to a 3/8" hose. In addition you should replace all of the fittings upstream of the spray gun from 1/4" to 3/8". This includes any unions (pipes) attached to the regulator or filter on the spray booth wall, quick disconnects, buterfly valves, and the fitting at the handle of the spray gun. If you leave even one single 1/4" fitting anywhere in the line you will not reap the full benefits of the 3/8" hose and fittings.

What's New | About PCRC | Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Technical Info | News | Homeowners | Search | Disclaimer | Home

©2012 Paints and Coatings Resource Center